- "I would not be the person I am today without this program. I am living again because of A4C" – Coral
Boards of Hope
July 13-14, 2013
Boards of Hope began from the hospital bed of 19-year old Scott Farman, fighting for his life with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. Scott turned to art for emotional release & when confined in the hospital.
In the process, Scott created powerful works of art that today remain his legacy and inspiration for others to find healing through art & the outdoors. Scott's legacy continues today in our survivorship camps with an art studio for participants' to express own personal journey with cancer.
The Boards of Hope Exhibit & Auction
Recycle a board, repurpose it, and transform it into a work of art. This is Boards of Hope! Boards are exhibited at, and auctioned off at Kiteboarding 4 Cancer Saturday, July 13th for The Camp Koru Young Survivorship Program. Athletes 4 Cancer invites fighters, survivors, those touched by cancer, and artists of all mediums to submit entries for Boards of Hope. Funds raised from BOH will benefit A4C cancer advocacy, prevention, and survivorship programs Camp Koru, Ambassadors and Life Coach.
To participate, check the art specs below. Please submit questions and submissions to info (at) athletes4cancer.org. The Boards of Hope exhibit will be on display at various functions prior to our annual fundraiser, Kiteboarding 4 Cancer. The main exhibit and auction will take place July 13th at the Kiteboarding 4 Cancer event at the Hood River Event Site.
Art Specifications & Info:
- Artists are responsible for recycling their own boards and finding art supplies to create their Board of Hope. Boards can be found on craigslist for cheap or free or any skate/surf shop, especially ones that do repairs.
- Finished piece must be sealed with a protective & archival sealant.
- Boards are not intended to be ridden after artwork.
- Artists can submit as many boards as they like.
- Artists are encouraged to use acrylics, acrylic paint pens, sharpies and collage mediums.
- A jpeg photo of the final work must be emailed to prior to board delivery.
- Works must be completed & delivered (or arranged for delivery) to the A4C office by July 4th.
- All submissions are donations to A4C and will be auctioned off at the Kiteboarding 4 Cancer event on July 13th, 2013 to raise funds for A4's Camp Koru survivorship program.
- There are no submission fees to enter.
- Artists must fill out a board inspiration/submission form here when they submit their board. Info will be used on display cards posted with boards on exhibit and in the auction.
- Selected Boards of Hope will be on exhibit in Downtown Hood River at various businesses prior to the July 13th BOH auction.
- The A4C office address is 216 Cascade Avenue #222, Hood River, OR 97031. Phone number is (415) 517-5678.
Email with questions.